Monday, August 23, 2010

3D TV

"I want my 3D TV!"  


Why isn't this the battle cry for a new era in home entertainment?  After all, a similar cry brought M(usic) TV into our homes in the early 80's.  


Ogg's article makes a valid point.  A gimmick is merely a gimmick: We just bought new plasma and LCD TV's.  I still have not invested in BlueRay because I don't want to repurchase my DVD collection (and I know I will, unless the threat of divorce is real...and it may be).  While waiting for the whole shebang to be iTunes, Amazon and Netflix (not a bad bet), thus getting rid of the physical thing in favor of code, I do want to see Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs in 3D--just for the fun of it.


However, Ogg's right: We need more.  Just as surround sound is underused for content (I read a dissertation that suggested the multiple personalities in Fight Club were rendered opaque throughout the film if one paid attention to the surround sound (how cool is that?), so too is 3D.  I want to see plot points revealed in the depth-layer of the 3D experience.  At the same time, polarized 3D is really great, much better than red-blue.  It's a good thing when done right (watch Shark Boy and Lava Girl...no really).  




If people, like myself, cannot afford to buy new surround systems or televisions with every technological development (imagine, I only have 5.1, DVD, and plamsa..so yesterday), the technology may die a premature death in accordance with the theory of diffusion of new technologies.  


 I [do] want my 3D TV." I just can't buy a N(ew) TV.  


No comments:

Post a Comment