Monday, October 31, 2011

Music and Compression

All Linkin Park songs sound alike and look alike!?  Well, that's the idea unfolded in this blog:


I don't see this as a critique of LP.  This same formula appears in Nirvana and other bands.  I'm not really interested in arguing about the "sameness" of a band's songs.  It seems to me that since the invention of popular music, one pitfall was that in order to be or remain "popular" you have to get a very large number of fans to hang with you.  I usually see bands stretching out only to loose their audience (I love bands like Jethro Tull who can make several significant changes, including genre, and flourish).

What I am interested is in those clean compression lines the author reveals.  I want my sound design students to get used to reading the compression in sound-waves visually.  So, thanks for the images; nice work.

No comments:

Post a Comment